The Providence Auxiliary is comprised of volunteers who play an important role at Providence by providing extra support and service throughout the hospital. These dedicated men and women interact with our patients and families, helping to create a warm and friendly environment of care. Volunteers assist staff in many ways, lending their skills to nursing units, admitting, waiting areas, the information desk, the gift shop and more. Auxiliary members also contribute many hours each year helping with special events, including the annual Christmas tree lighting, blood drives and the Festival of Flowers.
Every member of the Providence Auxiliary finds his or her own personal satisfaction in the hours they share in volunteer service. Some volunteer for the social interaction enjoyed among Auxiliary members, others for the benefits offered through the program, and still others simply to fill a need to “give back.” All have found that the service they give enriches their own lives.
Each volunteer is assigned a service area that best matches the skills, experience and interests of the volunteer. To learn more about volunteer opportunities at Providence, please call (251) 633-1335.
- Participation in all hospital celebrations
- Five luncheons/general meetings per year
- A free birthday meal
- In-service luncheons
- Discount in the Providence Cafeteria
- Discounted membership at the Providence Rehabilitation and Wellness Center
The Providence Hospital Auxiliary is affiliated with the Alabama Council of Hospital Auxiliaries and with the Southeastern Directors of Volunteer Services/Auxilians/Volunteers and Gift Shop Managers. Providence Auxiliary members have the opportunity to attend conferences and workshops presented by these organizations, to meet others with a common goal of hospital volunteer service and to participate in annual statewide projects.
The Providence Hospital Auxiliary participates in many projects each year to benefit the hospital and the surrounding community. Over the years, it has donated more than $2 million for some of the specific needs listed on the hospital’s Wish List. The Auxiliary has donated to the capital campaign and funded the purchase of a neuro-spinal tracking system, the shuttle van, and renovations to the Outpatient Surgery waiting room, the Surgery waiting room, the Cardiology waiting room and the Outpatient Center Registration area.
- Scroll of Honor/Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony in December
- Santa’s Sleigh on Christmas morning
- Heart pillows for cardiac patients
- Baby’s First Footprint Buttons for newborns
- Rainy day umbrella bags
- Festival of Flowers
- Blood drives
Volunteer Service Areas
Volunteers at Providence Hospital serve in a wide variety of jobs and locations. Below is a list of hospital areas is which our volunteers currently work:
- Breast Care Center
- Gift Shop
- Information Desks
- Patient registration
- Surgery waiting room
Call the Volunteer Office at (251) 633-1335 and let us find a place for you!
The Providence Hospital Auxiliary operates the Providence Hospital Gift Shop located in the main lobby. Net proceeds from gift shop sales help the Auxiliary support the mission and ministries of the hospital.
The Gift Shop offers a wide variety of unique merchandise, including flowers, cards, collectibles, baby items, candy and much more.
Monday – Friday: 9am – 7pm
Saturday: 11am – 4pm
Sunday: 12pm – 4pm
History of the Providence Hospital Auxiliary
In May 1950, a group of 30 Catholic women, all friends, gathered to formalize a project to help ease the financial burden of the Daughters of Charity at Providence Hospital. From that nucleus of women, the Providence Hospital Auxiliary has grown into a major fundraising arm of the hospital. The Auxiliary’s motto was “perfect your organization and then branch out to larger goals,” and that motto still prevails.
The first uniforms worn by Auxiliary members were blue smocks. The salmon color was adopted in September 1954 to show Providence’s affiliation with the American Hospital Association.
Mrs. J.O. Muscat served as the Auxiliary’s first president. The Auxiliary’s first service area was the hospital information desk and its first project benefited the premature nursery.
The gift shop was opened in December 1952, when 13 members each lent the Auxiliary $25 to purchase merchandise. The first year’s profit was $99.90, and all loans were paid back by October 1953.